“We cannot do great things on this earth, only small things with great love.”-Mother Teresa.
Small random acts of kindness resonate in all our lives. Not only can they brighten another person’s day, the warm feeling of wellbeing that washes over you when you’ve done something kind isn’t just in your head. It’s in your brain chemicals, too. Acts of kindness can release hormones that contribute to your mood and overall wellbeing.
“The rewards of acts of kindness are many,”; says Dr. Waguih William Ishak, a psychiatry professor at Cedars-Sinai. “They help us feel better, and they help those who receive them. We’re building better selves and better communities at the same time.”
Here is a list of 28 random acts of kindness (one for each day of February) you can do to spread smiles, love, and gratitude throughout your world.
1. Pay it Backward: buy coffee for the person behind you in line.
2. Compliment the first three people you talk to today. It costs nothing, takes no time, and could
make someone’s entire day.
3. Send a positive text message to five different people throughout the day.
4. Donate old towels or blankets to your local animal shelter.
5. Surprise a neighbor with freshly baked cookies or treats.
6. Send a friend a helpful or inspiring article that made you think of them.
7. Have a LinkedIn account? Write a recommendation for a coworker or connection.
8. Write a kind message on your mirror with a dry erase marker for yourself, your significant
other, or a family member.
9. Leave a kind server the biggest tip you can afford, along with an encouraging note.
10. Pick up any litter you see around you as you go through your day.
11. Write your partner a list of things you love about them.
12. Run an errand for a family member or friend who could use some extra help.
13. Leave a box of goodies in your mailbox for your mail carrier.
14. Slow down so someone can merge in front of you in traffic.
15. Email or write to someone who has made a difference in your life.
16. Write a positive comment on your favorite blog, website, or a friend’s social media account.
17. If you’re an Amazon.com customer, you can donate Amazon.com’s money to your favorite U.S. Nonprofit through Amazon Smile. Once set up, Amazon will contribute to your favorite nonprofit each time you purchase.
18. Write a great online review for a restaurant or local business you love.
19. Reconnect with an old friend you have lost touch with over the years.
20. Let someone cut in front of you in line at the grocery store.
21. Say something encouraging to a parent who struggles with rambunctious kids in a
restaurant or grocery store.
22. Offer to return a stranger’s grocery cart to the front of the store.
23. Write a sweet, encouraging note and put it under your child’s pillow.
24. Call your mom, dad, or siblings to say I love you.
25. Send a gratitude email to a coworker who deserves more recognition.
26. Send a care package to a service member.
27. Donate your old cell phone or other electronics to charity.
28. Collect and donate sample-size toiletries to a local homeless shelter.
Let’s see how many of these things we can do this month! Keep me posted.
Connecting with friends and family from afar is always kind. Look here for inventive ways to connect with loved ones.