Frida Kahlo’s quotes and paintings share a glimpse into the world she inhabited for only a short time – 47 years.
“Mexican artist Frida Kahlo is remembered for her self-portraits, pain and passion, and bold, vibrant colors. She is celebrated in Mexico for her attention to Mexican and indigenous culture and by feminists for her depiction of the female experience and form.” – fridakahlo.org
Kahlo lived an intensely difficult life. She suffered from polio as a child and was in a severe accident resulting in the need for many operations. Additionally, she endured a ‘tumultuous’ marriage to Diego Rivera.
She possessed the ability to express herself in vibrant colors on canvas. She also potently shared her thoughts and feelings in words.
Here’s a selection of Frida Kahlo quotes that jump off the page (for me!):
1. “I am my own muse, the subject I know best.” – Frida Kahlo
Couldn’t we all say this about ourselves? She’s speaking of our lifelong goals – the ability to know yourself well is key. This quote also speaks to her role as an influential feminist.
2. “Nothing is worth more than laughter. It is strength to laugh and to abandon oneself, to be light.” – Frida Kahlo
Isn’t that the truth?
3. “Fall in love with yourself, with life, and then with whoever you want.” – Frida Kahlo
Inner love is reflected outwardly.
4. “I paint flowers so they will not die.” – Frida Kahlo
Okay, this got me. The transience of flowers is part of what makes them so beautiful. Painting them in their peak moment of blossom is a gift.
5. “I want to be inside your darkest everything” – Frida Kahlo
Kahlo wasn’t afraid of her darkness or the darkness of her lover.
6. “I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows. But now the damned things have learned to swim, and now decency and good behavior weary me.” – Frida Kahlo
7. “I leave you my portrait so that you will have my presence all the days and nights that I am away from you.” – Frida Kahlo
Lovely but also takes a firm stance!
8. “You deserve a lover who takes away the lies and brings you hope, coffee, and poetry.” – Frida Kahlo
9. “This is how it feels to be in this broken female body. This is how it feels to be alone… This is how it feels to be me. I dare you to look…and once you look, I’m going to make sure you cannot look away.” – Frida Kahlo
Strength. Vulnerability. Power.
10. “At the end of the day, we can endure much more than we think we can.” – Frida Kahlo
Kahlo endured unimaginable physical and emotional pain. Yet, through her art, she must have transcended that pain, even just for a moment, to align with her glorious, vibrant spirit.
Frida Kahlo’s quotes are fierce, and her legacy lives on forever.
Did you enjoy these quotes? Share them with someone who will love them as much a you!
For more creative inspiration, check these out:
Explore ways to ignite your creativity here.
Get inspired by viewing highlights from my favorite creativity book.
And feel love in a new way after exploring these quotes from The Mastery of Love.